Wednesday 21 July 2010

And the heat just continues......

It's gotten swelteringly hot again, but this time we have the added bonus of high humidity, blech! Also a chance of severe thunderstorm, which I really hope happens, that way my migraine can go away.

Being my day off, it's cleaning and cooking (jam, of course) as per usual. Today I'm going to make sour cherry jam, and if I'm feeling super productive, maybe some wild blueberry lime jam as well. A friend at work gave me a big bag of fresh basil from her garden, think I'll make a nice lemony pesto sometime soon and freeze it.

I have stewing under the sink what I hope will be a yummy raspberry liqueur; my attempt at something like Chambord, made with black raspberries. It's been sitting there almost a week, tomorrow I will add some orange peel and a vanilla bean and let it sit for another 2-3 weeks or so before filtering it, bottling it and letting it sit for about 3 months. Looks good so far!


This year we have limited our balcony garden, as they were working on them and replaced the old rusty ones with new ones up until about a month or so ago. We saw these hanging planters for vegetables and decided to give them a try with some heritage tomatoes.


Has anyone else tried these? Not sure if we got the tomatoes out too late, they haven't started flowering yet. Fingers crossed!

At the same place we bought the planters, they had these neato small water gardens on sale; as I love waterlilies I could not resist:



The only problem with this is my one cat keeps trying to eat the plants!

If you live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area, or are planning on visiting it, I highly suggest a walking tour run by my friend Kimia called Grand River Walking Tours. It's highly informative and fun too.

And now, off to clean and make jam. Have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment